Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Hair, and sweat loss, glad it is not the other way around.

One of my tasks yesterday was to run really slowly and determine how much hydration I lost in sweat over the course of an hour. So, I drank a 16oz water bottle, and ended up 3 pounds lighter at the end of the run, so mathematically, i lost 4 pounds of fluid. That is all fine and dandy, except that means that I lost 64 ounces of fluid! That is a gallon in an hour, and I am planning to do a race that lasts 6 hours, and I hope not to go that slowly. Coach suggested a fuel belt, but a 4 gallon fuel belt seems.... excessive and slightly awkward. I am going to have to work on this. (This is funny, not serious, so Coach, don't yell at me. I am just pontificating.) Anyway, I did figure out that when I lost my water, I also lost the ability to regulate my heart rate. It seems that when I am H20 low the heart rate jumps up above the easy workout and into the moderate to hard workout zones at the first sign of any movement. Lots of athletes probably knew this, but I did not. End result is this: I need to drink an insane amount of water to keep hydrated, and this will help my heart rate stay in the "weight loss/cardiac building zone" and out of the "AAAAACCCCKKKK" zone. It is very likely that this is also one of my weight loss issues. Long workouts at low heart rates are what dives into fat for food. If my long workouts are not diving into fat and immediately going into AAAAACCCCKKKK then I am going all anarobic, not aerobic. Luckily, I can megahydrate for the rest of this week, and next week is a recovery week where everything is long and slow, so i can test my theory there.
The other thing I have noticed is that I seem to have lost all style in my hair. I used to part it on the side, but now whenever I look in the mirror, I look like either a red-headed troll doll, or the Heat Miser from the rudolf christmas shows. I am not sure why, but it all just goes up... maybe I am getting old.
I am tossing around writing a book. I have several ideas which I think could be developed into full fledged story lines, and I think I have a good idea of how to organize it, it is just a matter of sitting down and flexing those muscles for a while. I guess I am kinda doing that here, just by dumping out thoughts into coherent sentences and paragraphs. Who knows, maybe I could write the next big series with huge acclaim. I am not sure. I ask you though, when was the last time you laughed outloud at something written in a book?

No comments: